Thursday, September 8, 2011

Of Mice and Men Initial Reaction

            After I finished Fight Club, I picked up something I’ve been meaning to read for a while, John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men. It’s definitely a change of pace from Chuck Palahniuk. It’s a short book, and friends have told me that they liked it. Right now I’m about 1/3 of the way through the book. I like it so far. Steinbeck does a really good job with characterization. George and Lennie, the two main characters, are almost complete opposites, yet they are best friends. Lennie has a large, strong physique, but has the mind of a child. George is a smaller guy, but looks after Lennie because he is smarter, and has common sense. With all the background given on past problems that Lennie has caused, I can’t help but suspect that the main conflict in the book will be Lennie accidentally getting himself into trouble worse than ever before. I’m interested to see how the book will play out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment