Thursday, September 22, 2011

If No Country For Old Men was a Picture Book

If No Country For Old Men was a picture book, there would be a lot of red color. Everything is bloody in this book. Also, if this book were full of pictures, what would the characters look like? Well, I just looked up the characters from this book on google images, just to see how the picture I had in my head compared with the actors cast for the extremely popular movie based on this book. I've seen previews and movie posters for the movie and one of the characters always looked sort of scary to me. So, I guessed which one he would be based on the characters in the book, and I was right. Anton Chigurh is definitely the scary-looking guy played by Javier Bardem.

Anyways, on to a real response to the reading. The plot has definitely picked up now, and I will say that it's not quite as fun to read about action scenes with a lot of gunshots as it is to watch them in a movie or something. That's really one of the only aspects about reading that I can think of that isn't better than watching the movie. Not all the action sequences really make sense to me while I'm reading them, but maybe they're not supposed to make sense. Who knows. Regardless, I'm definitely going to watch the movie after I'm done reading this.

Although the plot itself hasn't made all that much sense to me thus far, the book has kept my attention, but more importantly, some interesting themes/statements have been presented. The main character, Moss, is running from everyone and everything at this point, trying to hold onto his life and his new found fortune. He thinks to himself that at some point, he's going to run out of luck. And he doesn't know what he's gonna do then. I think that the sheriff is turning into my favorite character. He says things like, "I think that when the lies are all told and forgot, the truth will be there yet." He also realizes the hopelessness of being the only symbol of law and order in his part of the country, but has some sort of sick drive to continue on with his job. He's to the point where unheard of violence no longer surprises him in any way. As things get worse and worse around him, all he can do is sigh and keep doing his job the same way that he's always done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment