Friday, November 4, 2011

Slaughterhouse-Three

The plot of Slaughterhouse-Five really took a turn towards WWII at the end, more so than the rest of the book. From this book, and from what I've heard about Cat's Cradle, I wouldn't consider Kurt Vonnegut a science fiction writer. The science fiction aspect of this book kind of dropped out in the middle, I don't think that it was his main focus to make that part of the book prevalent. As Vonnegut said in chapter 1 of the book, which is basically like an author's note, Slaughterhouse-Five was originally his great anti-war book detailing the bombing of Dresden, Germany in 1945. For a while, I sort of wondered when he would get into that more, but my questions were answered in the last 1/3 of the book, or about that amount. Vonnegut kept the same sarcastic tone, and there was still time travel for Billy, the main character, but it wasn't until about halfway through the novel that the title of the book was introduced. I thought that was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment